Forrest Gump

banshie

Member
Jan 27, 2003
885
0
16
The mention of this movie on another thread prompted me to start this. It seems that many people loved this movie. And the rest of us hated it. It's one of the few movies I have walked out of before the end.

The concept of someone with a borderline I.Q. coming out with so-called "pearls of wisdom" was not only unrealistic but offensive, IMO.

So there!
 

big dogie

Active member
Jun 15, 2003
1,233
16
38
in a van down by the river
banshie said:
The mention of this movie on another thread prompted me to start this. It seems that many people loved this movie. And the rest of us hated it. It's one of the few movies I have walked out of before the end.

The concept of someone with a borderline I.Q. coming out with so-called "pearls of wisdom" was not only unrealistic but offensive, IMO.

So there!
supid is as stupid does ....... no offence intened

b d
 

Tugger

Guest
Sep 5, 2001
399
0
0
I thought it was an entertaining movie, but not the best picture.

Shawshank Redemption should have won the best picture that year.
 

papasmerf

New member
Oct 22, 2002
26,520
1
0
42.55.65N 78.43.73W
ummmmmmmm
was a work of fiction
but its lesson of no need to be complex to be insightful is a good one to live by.
 
banshie said:
The concept of someone with a borderline I.Q. coming out with so-called "pearls of wisdom" was not only unrealistic but offensive, IMO.

So there!
I would say that's an insult to intelligence. The film gives a FALSE HOPE that guys that borderline like Forest Gump can be lovable and girls/chicks will love to be with him and a good candidate as a husband because he's loyal, down to earth, dependable and nice.

Fark that! Most women see this guy as nerdy, single-narrowed mind sore loser who can accomplish to nothing. Chicks will stay away from Forest Gump like plague and whatever good qualities he has as a person means trash to the chicks, especially the hotties.

No matter how hard guys like Forest Gump try to please chicks, he's just a nobody to many of the ladies out there. He's not materialistic and "sophisticated" enough to be a "real" man.

The last thing on earth those hotties/chicks really want is predictability and stable lifestyle!
 

anon1

Well-known member
Aug 19, 2001
11,065
3,085
113
Tranquility Base, La Luna
You guys are kidding, right?
Forrest Gump is an allegory, a nostalgic look at a time when America was filled with optimism. An Innocent wandering through a world plagued with cynicism, evil and dispair. Emerging triumphant by retaining the simple virtues of love, honor and hope.
Did we see the same movie?
 
Last edited:

Tugger

Guest
Sep 5, 2001
399
0
0
anon1 said:
You guys a kidding right?
Forrest Gump is an allegory, a nostalgic look at a time when America was filled with optimism. An Innocent wandering through a world plagued with cynicism, evil and dispair. Emerging triumphant by retaining the simple virtues of love, honor and hope.
Did we see the same movie?

YES!

but do you think it should have won the best picture?
 

incognito

Active member
You guys should remember 1 thing...ITS A MOVIE. I for one really liked this movie because "it is a tale told by an idiot." It is a modern fairy tale that tells us that things will work out in the end if you have a possitive outlook. I'd like to believe that, i really would.

Banshie - were you offended because a simpleton like Gump had a better outlook in life than you? "Mama always said..." (insert words of wisdom here).


Sweet guy - sometimes thats what guys like me have left...hope.


Incognito
 
incognito said:
Sweet guy - sometimes thats what guys like me have left...hope.

Incognito
Hope? What hope? Just don't kid yourself. Everybody knows what are the odds of guys like these (maybe not that worse) can have the same level of playing field as the reeling dealing son of the guns!

You can call "vicarious feeling", "therapy" or whatever you want. No matter how sweet, nice you really are deep in your heart, it just doesn't cut it in the reality. That's NOT what the women want in the relationship.

If she is looking for something sweet and nice "living creatures", she will get a tea cup puppy.
 
Kathleen said:
It also showed some great reality with how Jenny could never commit to Forrest, until it was too late. Then you wrap it up with a good cry over the biggest loss Forrest could have in his life.
Jenny "felt" too late after fooling around with the hippies during the turbulent Vietnam War era, getting Forrest baby unexpectedly and worse getting infected with HIV/AIDS.

I doubt she would feel Forrest was the last man standing, loving her unconditionally if she's not having Forrest's flesh and blood unintentionally.

BTW, Forrest is a tragic figure. No fault of his own, he would be ridiculed and subject to derision if this character lives in today's reality.

Hotties/Chicks might be simple-minded and/or forgiving in the 60s and 70s but this is not necessarily the case anymore.
 

Dick

New member
Sep 5, 2001
105
0
0
wow, i dont know whats more pathetic, debating why would any woman like Forrest (im sure were all experts on women) OR not seeing the forest for the trees, excuse the pun.

Im confused by this thread. Why exactly are you bemoaning a movie that came out like 10 years ago? Did you just get around to watching it now?

as someone else said......ITS A MOVIE NIMROD! Not everything has to be according to your cookie cutter narrow minded view of how the world works.

I love when people dis movies like this cause its unrealistic but will pay $15 to watch things like Spider Man.

by the way, Shawshank was a great movie.
 

banshie

Member
Jan 27, 2003
885
0
16
Well, I guess sweet guy and I are on the same wavelength, except that I wasn't quite looking at it as a "how does one score with chicks" movie.

But, apart from that sweet guy and I (if I can speak fror you sweet guy) would say, "Forrest Gump" was one crap movie!

JMHO (Oh yes, very humble.)
 

WoodPeckr

Protuberant Member
May 29, 2002
47,082
6,212
113
North America
thewoodpecker.net
Thought Forrest Gump was just a good entertaing movie. What surprised me most was the way the GOP kind of adopted it as their 'theme movie' as making a statement for them and their values.

Next thing you see is them trotting out Dubya, who I thought at first was a clone between Forrest Gump and Alfred E Newman of Mad Magazine fame.

Speaking of Dubya & Alfred E Neuman here is a funny site featuring many of them funny gaffes Dubya has entertained us with over the past years:

http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/Bush-Quotes-ngin.htm

So go figure.:D
 

Don

Active member
Aug 23, 2001
6,286
10
38
Toronto
dang sweetguy from this thread an others I've seen it sounds like you have some issues regarding relationships with women. Anyway I hardly think Forrest gump is about some goof scoring with a hot chick and it wasn't like chicks were falling all over him. It was a goofy fictional movie that pulled at the heartstrings of people. It was entertaining but not as good as all the hype.
 

spatial_k

New member
Feb 14, 2004
733
0
0
sweet guy said:
Jenny "felt" too late after fooling around with the hippies during the turbulent Vietnam War era, getting Forrest baby unexpectedly and worse getting infected with HIV/AIDS.

I doubt she would feel Forrest was the last man standing, loving her unconditionally if she's not having Forrest's flesh and blood unintentionally.

BTW, Forrest is a tragic figure. No fault of his own, he would be ridiculed and subject to derision if this character lives in today's reality.

Hotties/Chicks might be simple-minded and/or forgiving in the 60s and 70s but this is not necessarily the case anymore.
What is it with you? Not everything is about your problems with women.
 

incognito

Active member
Ok, buddy... you have some serious issues with women. I mean we all do but your got a serious hate on for them. What's up? I can tell your angry so sharing the problem might help you. Are you angry because you are incapable of scoring with a hot chick?
 
Ashley Madison
Toronto Escorts