Python Gumbies and "Our House" video?

buffarg

New member
Aug 18, 2001
249
0
0
Just one of those things that's stuck inside my brain. I have no idea why I'm fanally asking this now.

The video for "our house" has men dressed up in shorts with suspenders over short sleeved sweaters, wearing fingerless gloves, and they're acting kinda clumsy (I forget if they had hankies tied to their heads). Is that an homage to Monty Python's 'Gumbies' or are they both referring to some British subculture?
 

superquad1968

Lucifer's Assistant
Nov 26, 2003
659
0
16
Hell. Where Else?
www.terb.ca
I think you are talking about Madness. Part of the ska movement in the early 80s. The hankies are typically English. But may be a homage but I doubt it. Now being used as a Maxwell House commercial.

Loved them back in high school. Cripes I'm that old...

"Father wears his Sunday best
Mother's tired she needs a rest
The kids are playing up downstairs
Sister's sighing in her sleep
Brother's got a date to keep
He can't hang around

Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, in the middle of our ...

Our house it has a crowd
There's always something happening
And it's usually quite loud
Our mum she's so house-proud
Nothing ever slows her down
And a mess is not allowed

Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, in the middle of our ...

Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, in the middle of our ...
Something tells you that you've got to get away from it

Father gets up late for work
Mother has to iron his shirt
Then she sends the kids to school
Sees them off with a small kiss
She's the one they're going to miss
In lots of ways

Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, in the middle of our ...

I remember way back then when everything was true and when
We would have such a very good time such a fine time
Such a happy time
And I remember how we'd play simply waste the day away
Then we'd say nothing would come between us two dreamers

Father wears his Sunday best
Mother's tired she needs a rest
The kids are playing up downstairs
Sister's sighing in her sleep
Brother's got a date to keep
He can't hang around

Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, in the middle of our street

Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, in the middle of our ...

Our house, was our castle and our keep
Our house, in the middle of our street

Our house, that was where we used to sleep
Our house, in the middle of our street

Our house, in the middle of our street
 

buffarg

New member
Aug 18, 2001
249
0
0
superquad1968 said:
I think you are talking about Madness. Part of the ska movement in the early 80s. The hankies are typically English.
Yeah that's the vid, what about the rest of the outfits and mannerisms?

BTW, what does 'Git' mean in British?
 
Toronto Escorts