I also mostly followed the approach that others have mentioned here. I’m debt free, own home and vehicles, boat etc., and not planning for that to change… but I also kind of looked at what I’m spending on a monthly basis ( historically fixed expenses like insurance, utilities, taxes., fuel,etc. plus fluid expenses like eating out, travel, hobbying, etc.) Interestingly my monthly expenditures seem to have landed in the same neighborhood for the last 15 years or so, on average.. without any real budget.I asked before if I can retire at 62 with 600,000. Now I have 800,000 with house paid off. My advisor keeps telling me I’m good to go. Just wondering what you retired guys think.
So my retirement was based on whether my current holding/investments, etc., could provide that monthly income for the number of remaining years I expect to live, assuming I wanted to enjoy the same lifestyle … because retiring shouldn’t be about compromising and giving up things I enjoy. (imo)
Now this was all calculated prior to seeing Abby. Once I finally do, I may have to go back to work!!






